Joe GermaniManaging Director, Special Situations
Joe Germani is Managing Director, Special Situations and has been at Sloane & Company since 2014. He counsels clients on contested situations and high-stakes issues at the nexus of the capital markets and public policy. Joe has experience across a variety of special situations – including M&A, shareholder activism, litigation and restructuring – as well as corporate crisis, issues and reputation management and public affairs campaigns.
Recent engagements and representations of note include:
- The Ad Hoc Group of Constitutional Debtholders in the Puerto Rico restructuring situation
- Revlon, Inc. in its debt repositioning and associated creditor litigation, as well as ongoing internal and external communications efforts
- Advent Technologies in its $358 million acquisition by AMCI Acquisition Corp
- New York Life in its $6.3 billion acquisition of Cigna’s Group Insurance business
- Bernhard Capital Partners in multiple transactions and ongoing communications efforts
- eBay in its $4 billion sale of StubHub
- Aetna in its $69 billion merger with CVS Health
- Investors and issuers in more than 200 shareholder activism matters including:
- Cubic Corp. in its defense and eventual sale to Elliott Management and Veritas Capital
- Farallon Capital Management in its proxy campaign with Toshiba Corp.
- KVH in its defense against Vintage Capital Management and VIEX Capital Advisors
- Tarsadia Capital in its proxy contest at Extended Stay America
- Senator Investment Group and Cannae Holdings in their bid for – and activist campaign at – CoreLogic
- Macellum Advisors, Ancora Advisors, Legion Partners Holdings and 4010 Capital in their proxy contest at Kohl’s
- Bloom Energy in its defense against short seller Hindenburg Research
- CymaBay Therapeutics in its defense against Engine Capital Management
- Harbert Discovery Fund in its proxy contest at Enzo Biochem
- OncoSec Immunotherapies in its proxy contest defense against Alpha Holdings
- Legion Partners Holdings, Macellum Advisors, and Ancora Advisors in their proxy contest at Bed Bath & Beyond
- HomeStreet Bank in its two proxy contest defenses against Blue Lion Capital
- Waterton Global Holdings in its activist situation with Hudbay Minerals
- Companies and Boards in confidential activist preparedness assignments
Prior to joining Sloane & Company, Joe was with Brunswick Group, a strategic communications firm, where he worked on cross-border M&A, activist investor defense and crisis management assignments.
Joe graduated from Georgetown University with a B.S. in Foreign Service and earned an M.A. in European History from New York University.